Human Trafficking & Modern Day Slavery
- There are 27 million slaves in the world, more than at the time of the trans-Atlantic slave trade.
- 80% of modern day slaves are women; 50% of them are children.
- Sex trafficking generates approximately $32 billion a year.
- Human trafficking recently became the number one criminal industry in the world.
- Texas is a major hub for human trafficking, ranking second only to California.
- The I-10 corridor was identified as one of the main routes for human traffickers in the United States, and where does CEPC sit? I-10!
What Are We Doing?
Sponsor Sherry's Freedom Climb:
In January 2012, Sherry will undertake a climb to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa with 50 women from around the world as part of The Freedom Climb. The intention is to raise awareness and funds worldwide for women and children who “have no voice.” The website is both informational and inspirational. See Sherry Irvin’s bio and others under the “Sponsor” tab, and click on “A Climber.” (Sherry is on Page 2.)
“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.”