About the Mission
Since 1984, Youth-Reach has operated full-service, Christ-centered residential homes for at-risk, troubled, and delinquent boys. Located on twenty-six acres in east Harris County, Youth-Reach provides a fresh chance to young offenders and abandoned kids. Youth-Reach is licensed through The State of Texas to operate Foster Group Homes for juveniles. The program has no set length-of-stay, as many young people have no alternative other than Youth-Reach. Five years ago Youth-Reach expanded to coastal Alabama and opened Youth-Reach Gulf Coast on an 81-acre tract of land. In the last twenty-five years, over two thousand young men have made Youth-Reach their home.
The vision for Youth-Reach was given by the Lord to Curt Williams in 1984. The work began as a ministry to Montrose area street kids. For five years Youth-Reach operated The Refuge at 408 Westheimer where, seven days a week, 75-100 kids came for a hot meal and hope. It was clear early on that more was needed, and in November of 1984 Curt took the first kid into his home. A search was launched for a suitable program for these kids, but none was found that would receive kids with no financial support. Youth-Reach was born to care for kids and meet the needs of families unable to meet the costs of many juvenile intervention programs. The first facility was in east Houston, but in 1988 Youth-Reach moved to its present location. Years later the adjacent properties became available and were purchased. The program has expanded to an 18-bed capacity, and a new facility is planned that will serve 35 boys and provide this proven program to troubled girls as well. Youth Reach-Houston has expanded the on-site school curriculum to ultimately gain accreditation.
To provide for the tangible needs of troubled and homeless young people and to introduce them to a life-changing relationship with Jesus Christ.
The mission of Youth Reach – Houston is to provide a fresh chance to troubled boys. We do that by giving them:
- The opportunity to hear and accept the good news of a healing and transformational relationship with Jesus Christ.
- A quality, individualized and comprehensive education experience that prepares them for higher learning.
- Critical, required life skills that will enable and equip them to achieve positive and measurable goals in life.
In 2012 the Board of Directors of Youth-Reach Houston has placed ministry development as a high priority. Their goal is to build a strong foundation for future growth, and to maximize the resources that the Lord has provided. The board is formulating a five-year plan to expand the support base and to gain the critical relationships in our city. These relationships will create a team that will help Youth-Reach attain its goals. These goals include a purpose-built facility that will expand our resident capacity by 70%, and a bit further down the road, a campus for girls. We are also working to improve our education curriculum that specializes in educating kids that have, in most cases, been deemed uneducateable.
Please pray for:
- Guidance as we seek to enter a new season for Youth-Reach Houston;
- The right men and women to serve on our Board of Directors, and for them to have wisdom and discernment in their tasks;
- Our staff to remain passionately dedicated to Christ and rescuing kids;
- Our kids, who without Christ’s intervention will face lives of defeat.
- Godly donors to come forward to support the Youth Reach boys and building plans.
CEPC Missions Committee Contact